Raimondo’s essay brought to mind an idea that has been rolling around in my mind for a while now, but which I haven’t until now committed to paper (bytes, whatever):
The United States is becoming the Evil Empire that it fought against in the Cold War.
My (admittedly loose) reasoning is:
- whereas the elite of the Soviet Union was motivated by an ideology of marxism, the elite of the United States is motivated by an ideology of cultural marxism;
- whereas the Soviet Union was openly hostile to, and sought to destroy, western societies, the elite of the United States are openly hostile to, and seek to destroy, Russia;
- whereas the elite of the Soviet Union used their ideology of proletarian dictatorship to justify their aggression against those they deemed to be ‘enemies of the working class’, the elite of the United States use their ideology of ‘diversity’ and ‘tolerance’ to justify their aggression against those they deem to be ‘oppressive’;
- whereas the elite of the Soviet Union controlled social narratives through official news agencies, and sought to suppress alternative narratives which can only circulate through what was known as samizdat press, the elite of the United states control social narratives through mainstream media agencies, and seek to suppress alternative narratives which can only circulate through unofficial channels on the internet (blogs, message boards, podcasts – all of which are currently under threat of censorship);
- whereas the elite of the Soviet Union sought to promote their ideology of proletarian dictatorship to other countries through conquest, proxy wars and ideological subversion, the elite of the United States seek to promote their ideology of ‘diversity’ and ‘tolerance’ to other countries through conquest, proxy wars and ideological subversion;
- etc., etc.
and so on and so forth. For every action of the elites of the Soviet Union, I think I can find an analogue in the beliefs and actions of the elites of the United States.
Here is just the latest analogue, outlined by the anonymous author at The Daily Bell and re-printed at David Stockman’s site:
In bluntest terms, the FBI performs a function similar to that of the 20th century KGB. It creates high-profile “criminal cases” to reinforce elite memes. For instance, banking elites are currently fixated on creating a “war on terror.” The FBI is charged with finding and arresting terrorists to buttress this narrative.
I’ll look for further examples, to share with you. This is not really a Popperian approach to generating knowledge – I should be looking for evidence that invalidates my hypothesis. The reason for my questionable approach is that I think there’s a preponderance of evidence that western countries are not, fully, modern analogues of the old Soviet Union – my being able to write this blog is evidence of this – but that it is important to monitor these developments because they represent a threat to essential, fundamental, ancient liberties which have allowed western societies to thrive for so long.
I’ll post examples under the category Cult-Marx Inversion.